Welcome to Irish Herbal Roots. Tel: 087 7531023
My name is Lisa Guinan and I am the creator of Irish Herbal Roots. I am a fully qualified Naturopathic Herbalist, registered with The Irish register of Herbalists and in practice since 2008. I teach people all about the many wonderful medicinal plants, flowers and trees that grow locally and abundantly here in Ireland. I give practical step by step workshops showing people how to harvest these plants and transform them into beautiful yet highly effective remedies for treating everyday health issues such as coughs, colds and indigestion. I also do private clinics where I educate, encourage and advise people on how they can best achieve the quality of health that they desire. Herbs of course, are a big part of the treatment plan!
Using Plants for Health and wellbeing.
Until the mid 1900s, harvesting Wild herbs and plants for medicine was an essential part of life for every culture on earth. Ireland too enjoyed a rich traditional culture and many folk still fondly remember the local cures and remedies which they grew up with, shown to them by their mother or grandmother in far off dreamy days when people worked closely with the land and appreciated a simpler life. Now, almost a hundred years later and a hundred years wiser, many people are beginning to reflect and seriously question whether in fact we acted a little too hastily when we dropped our inherited wisdom of plant knowledge and our traditional skills of medicine making. In hindsight it is becoming apparent that there has been a consistent void, an empty space in the heart of our culture, a space once shared by both man and nature, that resulted in healing. Maybe we need to re visit this area and see exactly what it was that we let go of and see if we wish to continue letting go of it….
It is absolutely great fun. If you have childhood memories of running though the fields, picking wildflowers, collecting berries and chestnuts or searching for some hidden treasures in nature, then you have an idea of the kind of carefree spirit that tends to come out of us when we embark upon the journey of plant foraging.
- It is now a well proven fact that spending time in Nature is a great way to calm the nervous system and reduce stress levels.
It brings Nature alive and creates a bond which naturally leads us to a place of respect and caring for out environment.
Benefits of making herbal remedies
- This is a creative process that is very relaxing and extremely rewarding. If you enjoy cooking, gardening or art and craft, then chances are that you’ll love every minute of herbal medicine making.
- Once you learn the basic skills, you can continue to use them over and over again, making a constant supply of natural medicines at a very low cost to you.
Benefits of using herbal remedies
Plants are generally extremely safe and have a place in the home for everyday health care. All those times when you are not quite sick enough to go to the doctor and yet you feel you need something. Herbal remedies are that ‘something’. Once you learn the basics, you can feel confident in using them at home to treat everyday common health issues.
- They are fantastic resources to have on hand when dealing with the knocks and tumbles of childhood years. Having a herbal first aid kit means that you are ready and prepared for every scrape, bang and bruise that comes your way. Pharmaceutical medicine has never been able to replace the healing actions of herbs that will help close a cut or soothe a burn, bringing relief as well as healing.
- Winter tonics, Immune tonics, lung tonics, kidney tonics……a tonic is a medicine that will strengthen a particular aspect of your health by supporting that organ or system. Herbs make absolutely fantastic tonics that are preventative medicine at its best. If you suffer from low immunity, you take an immune tonic. If you are prone to winter chest infections, you take a lung tonic at the start of winter. This approach makes sense and natural medicine excels in this area.
- Wild herbs and plants are full of natural goodies that are gentle and kind to your skin which means that they make wonderful natural cosmetics.
Benefits of a one on one consultation
- A one on one consultation is an opportunity to review your health status in depth. Time is taken to look into all body systems as well as mood and energy levels in order to find the common threads that lead to the root of the issues and to work with them to achieve permanent and lasting results.
- There are no side effects, except for good ones like generally feeling better, looking better and stuff like that.
- The focus of a Herbalist is ‘Health’. What I mean by this is that you do not have to be sick or have a medical diagnosis to see a Herbalist. Herbs, especially when supported with dietary and lifestyle changes can give you a new lease of life by increasing your energy levels and stabilizing your mood.
Please click the ‘Herbal and Naturopathic Consultation’ tab above for more information.
For details of upcoming workshops on The Art of Natural Medicine making, please click the ‘workshops and events’ tab above. if you would like to go on the mailing list to be notified of upcoming events, please send a confirmation email to email@example.com
If you would like to follow my photographic record of local Wild flowers and plants as they come into season, then please check out the links below, which lead you to my facebook page ‘Lisa Guinan, Herbalist’. If you ‘like’ my page, you will receive the updates on facebook as they are posted. Enjoy your viewing, Lisa